I was researching buying a kit for Chinese Garden Mandala from European cross stitch when I found myself wandering off and accidentally browsing possible new projects (you know how it happens!) I found these two samplers by Long Dog which I love and have never seen before.
I have heard references to Long Dog on other peoples blogs and it got me wondering, are there any 'rites of passage' pieces or designers? I don't mean birth or wedding samplers, I mean like a unofficial 'tick list' of well known designers whos designs you have to have completed at least 1 of before you can consider yourself a 'real' cross stitcher. A great example would be cirque des cercles by Inc Circles. The stitching of that design seems to be a Rite of Passage on the road to stitching greatness!! I think that at least one Chatelaine Mandala might be on the list as well.
Has anybody got any others?
I'm still stitching on my Alhambra and will update as soon as I feel I have enough progress to warant it.

6 comments:
A large Teresa Wentzler design, is one I'd count as a Rite of Passage.
Hmm.... I never knew there was a Rite of Passage to stitching. :O It's be interesting to read the check list on this topic. :D
I'm with Sally - TW! Usually 'The Castle'.
Also I'd say one project which you hate but persevere with and finally finish with a huge Happy Dance.
Well, I'm not really sure I consider anything a rite of passage. Everyone likes different things so what would be an achievement to one person may not be to someone else. I also think that all designs are needle up, needle down - some just take longer than others.
I don't think there's any "universal" list, since everyone's tastes are so different!
I don't think I've seen that design before, but agree that it is lovely. It has great colours in it.
The great thing about Long Dog designs is that they look really intricate, but are an easy stitch. (I did the 2007 Long Dog mystery sampler that was in the Gift of Stitching magazine).
Post a Comment