Monday, 3 October 2011

Maggy, Page 2 start!

I've decided to stitch Maggy in thin strips rather than whole pages as I want to avoid obvious lines showing in my stitching from the page joins. I figure if I stop at colour breaks rather than page breaks it will show less.  Also I can roll her up as I complete her.  Plus I can stitch across a much bigger area so I can have a break from a small area if it starts to get a bit tedious.  To do this I'm having to colour out the stitches I have made on my working copy of the chart.  This is working really well.  I haven't needed to do it with other projects but I don't think I could manage this without! 

I can see how people get addicted to HAEDs it is lovely watching the rich colours come together.  I just can't stop stitching her, even though I have other things I need to stitch.  I'm really happy with the fabbie, it is working up beautifully.  It isn't too bulky and the needle slides through perfectly but the coverage is still excellent. Its 20ct bellana, 2 over 1,  I've tried to take a close up to show the stitches. I think I'd like to get my first 'strip' (which will be about the top two inches) finished by Christmas.


This is what I'm doing with the chart, the area is the same as the close up above (roughly)

I hope this doesn't break any copywrite, I've deliberatly taken a uselessly small area and a section almost entirely blacked out just to show my method.  I'm hoping my experiences with my first HAED might help someone else perhaps.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just loving the colours in this one, great progress too! Unless I am doing a Freebie SAL, I usually work cross country with the colours and try to run over into the next page to prevent that line happening.

Susan said...

I have three HAEDs in my stash. I've put one on my to-start list for 2012. I hope I can progress on mine as quickly as you are on yours.

Iverinde said...

i like to go over with a yellow highlighter, the stitches I'm working on. When done i go over with a blue highlighter. i find it easier to work that way. instead of just black

Anne said...

I'm doing the same as you, but with pencil since I don't have highlighters. I think it's a must do for HAED's, otherwise I would get lost!! It's looking really good so far!!!

Colours of the Outback said...

Woa, that looks great so far! I really love HAED's but I am too afraid to start one. They just look so intimidating

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I think colouring-in is essential for this sort of chart. As you know I use felt-tips to produce a multi-coloured version of the design on the chart.
how funny, my word is moistip, and what is a felt-tip if not a moistip?!