Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Sacred Cranes - A Start

Here are my first few stitches in Sacred Cranes, a crewel work kit I received from my Mum and Dad for Christmas.  I haven't done as badly as I thought I might for my first go and think I'm getting the hang of it.  It stitches up much more quickly than cross stitch but the wool is a little frustrating to work with after DMC!

3 comments:

Blu said...

Very pretty!
I've never done any crewel work. How do you know how far to stitch one colour? Where the shading is?

Charbs and the Bumpy Dog said...

You get a chart which matches the print on the fabric, but the chart has numbers in each section indicting which colour to use and direction of the stitch. You blend where there are broken lines. It is exactly the same as paint by numbers and much easier than it looked when I first opened the packet, and paniced!! I am better at getting the wool to cover the white lines now, but any bits left visible quickly flick off using the sharp tip of the needle. It really is quite a lot of fun.

Joysze said...

Charlie, OMG, this is gorgeous!!!!!! I love the look of crewel, but I can't stand stitching where there are lines. I've only ever done one and every now and then I think of picking up another but I think I shall live vicariously through you. :D